Are you a victim of Labour Exploitation?
Report it to Police Scotland today by calling 101 or if you are in immediate danger dial 999
Call the Modern Slavery Helpline 0800 0121 700
You are a victim of labour exploitation if you:
- Are not being paid properly – this includes meeting the National Minimum Wage and being given Holiday Pay
- Are being forced to work by people who deduct money from your wages leaving you with little or no money to buy basic necessities
- Are made to live in poor and dirty conditions or sleep on the streets in an unfamiliar environment
- Are having your time both on duty and off duty controlled by other people
- Don’t have immediate access to the money you earn
- Don’t have immediate access to your passport or employment paperwork
- Are kept isolated and can’t travel freely
- Are always accompanied in public
- Feel nervous and scared of authority
- Are being denied medical treatment when you need it
- Are being made to work when injured or unwell.
Migrant Help offer advice and support to refugees, victims of slavery and human trafficking and asylum seekers in the UK.
There is a range of advice for workers, in a number of different languages, available from the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority, a government organisation who exist to protect workers from exploitation and who licence those employers using seasonal and short-term workers.
Our partners include
- Migrant Help https://www.migranthelpuk.org/
- Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority https://www.gla.gov.uk
- Anti-slavery Commissioner https://www.antislaverycommissioner.co.uk/
Legislation and guidance
On 30 May 2017, the Scottish Government published a Trafficking and Exploitation Strategy setting out how the Scottish Government and others will tackle human trafficking in Scotland.
The relevant legislation in Scotland is the Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act 2015.
A guide to the Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act 2015 is also available.
The Scottish Government’s Labour Exploitation Best Practice Guide for Businesses.